Save one or more Outlook 2011
messages as files
does this Automator Workflow do?
- Requires Automator application
(comes with Mac OS X version 10.5 and later Snow
Leopard & Lion) and
- Microosft Outlook 2011
Saves selected email messages as files
How do I make this Automator
Follow these steps (See Figure 1):
- Open the Automator
application (Double-click Automator.app in the
- When Automator opens, a dialog displays "Choose a
template for your workflow" with "workflow" selected by
default. "Workflow" is what we want, so all you have to do is click the Choose button.
- In the list of Actions
in the left column, in the Library category choose Mail.
- Drag the action, "Get
Selected Outlook Items" to the empty pane on the right.
It might take a couple tries before this works. Drag slowly.
- Also from the Mail actions in the left column, drag the action "Save Outlook
Items as Files" to the pane on the right as shown
- In the Save Outlook
Items as Files action, you can choose:
- Where: Click
this pop-up to choose the default folder in which to save
the messages when the action runs
- Save: Choose
whether to automatically use the message subect as the file
name or be prompted to enter a file name.
You can test this action
right in the Automator application. Switch to Outlook, and
select one or more (hold the command key down and click on
subjects to select them, or you can even use Command-a to select
them all). The switch back to Automator application and click
the Run button. The workflow runs and saves each selected
message as a file.
- Show this action when the workflow runs
- Show only the selected items (try this both ways
and see how you like it)
You can save This Automator workflow so you can open and edit it
again in Automator:
To save this Automator
Action as an application that Microsoft Outlook can use:
- In Automator, choose File
> Save As.
- In the Save As field, give
the action a name, such as SaveOutlookMessagesAsFiles.workflow
- Use the default file format,
"workflow" and then click the Save button.
All done! You can quit
Automator application now.
- In Automator, choose File > Save As.
- Change the file format pop-up to Application
- In the Save As field, give the action a name, such as SaveOutlookMessages.app
- Navigate to Documents then click the Save button. Tip:
Make a folder for your Automator Actions.
How do I use a workflow that was saved as application?
In Microsoft Outlook 2011:
- In a mailbox, elect the messages you want to save as
Double-click your saved Automator Action application
Choose the options you want in the dialog box
- Hold the Command key down to
select more than one message
- Hold the Shift key down to
select a range of messages
- Press Command-a to select all
Click the Continue button.
The selected mail
messages have been saved to the folder you chose.
Click here for more Automator Actions.